Assurance


Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see” 

Hebrews 11:1 NIV 


The word assurance derives  from 2 Greek words. Hypostasis meaning a foundation or reality. The other, is  Plerophoria meaning a complete certainty or entire conviction.  Altogether the word means something that is a foundation in which there is complete certainty in. 


To me the word “assurance” means something deeper. It’s the heartfelt inner confidence that God is who He says He is and does what He says He will do. An inner confidence so strong that it’s built on the foundation of Jesus Christ forming our entire conviction. 


But let’s look at that verse more closely. Faith is confidence for what we hope in and complete certainty for what is unknown. WOW! So without assurance, we have no complete certainty in our faith. That’s how important assurance is. Jesus is the Rock. Our faith is built upon Him meaning our hope is in Him and we have complete trust in His abilities and His word. 


How can we apply this to our lives? I feel like I hang out mostly in the 1st part of that verse. I have confidence in what I hope for through Faith. I can hope and lay it in God’s hands. However, that 2nd part, trusting in what I cannot see with “complete certainty” now that’s where my faith often is lacking. I can hope but can I trust?


Where in your life do you see yourself hoping more than trusting? Or, maybe you can trust but you struggle with hoping. Maybe you built your entire life on Jesus but you are “done” with hoping. Or, all you do is hope, hoping for a good result “perhaps God will do something” but your trust isn’t fully in Jesus.


Whichever spot you find yourself, your challenge is to try the other side. Focus more on trusting in the rock of Jesus Christ. Or focus on saying that prayer one more time even though it hasn’t been answered. 


Have just a little more assurance in what you do not see today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Step

Worry

Choices